Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 96 To the Shores of Tripoli!

And I'm in =)
Lots of negotiations at the border, hours and hours of champion-building, finally, an unrestricted stamp in my passport free to travel through Libya for up to 3 months. I'm one happy pilgrim. The people have been terrific - scores stopping to take their photo with me, happier to find out I'm an American. All the men telling me 'I'm your brother' in a warmly protective manner. It's been terrific. The only trouble has been getting internet service as the country transitions from free service for all to privatized capitalism. So, I apologize for the delayed update. I've been walking for three days, mostly along the quiet beach, popping out to the road from time to time, but to do so is to be politely and tactfully approached for a photo op. People calling out to me 'welcome to Libya!' 'thank you for coming!' 'tell the world we're free!'. Really, though I've only got a minute here on an i-phone, it's been a grand three days... yes yes yes, I'll be prudent in the unpopulated stretches, but be assured civil order exists, no violence, calm commerce, everyone's getting on with life. I'll try to update at least once a week, but the reliability of the internet service isn't a sign of bad tidings, just positive transition. Happy New Year!

8 comments:

Babs said...

Glad you're safe and sound! Pleasant journey, with a bit of asking yourself WWBD?

Amy R said...

WWBD? What would Babs do?

I am just thrilled to hear that you got into Libya! I hope everything continues great for you!

ksam said...

Wow! So happy to see you here again, and even happier to see all is going so well.

Anonymous said...

Yea! So happy the missing Border Saint showed up and even happier that you've been befriended and protected by good people. We're with you.

OHMV said...

Congratulations! Best Wishes! Happy Walking!

Juan María said...

Te deseo lo mejor para el año que acabamos de comenzar.Felicidades por tu entrada en Libya,eres una mujer obtinada y muy persistente y finalmente consigues lo que deseas.Feliz 2012.

Marianne said...

You are more than a pilgrim, you are a wonderful representative of the U.S.----and through you we have a better understanding of the brotherhood of man. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

It's Linda.....We are together Sheila Andrea and Lynnnthinking of you Everyday.....