Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 105: Flight to Egypt

Rats rats and rats again, an issue of security as I approached Misrata... lacking a official visa, I was invited to leave the country 'immediately' by the Minister of Internal Affairs. Detained, deported on Day 101, onward to Egypt by minivan. The overland flight lasted 16 hours and though I saw a good deal of the Sahara in the area of Ben Waid, the mountainous, more interesting parts passed me by during the frigid moonlit night. Heavy sigh. The Libyan people I met were all very nice. The country has a lot of patriotism, a lot of natural resources, a lot of potential. One day, the political climate will be better suited to a pilgrim by foot.

Because the minivan to Egypt passed across the border at 4 in the morning, the driver wouldn't let me out until either I was with a man (no volunteers among the other 4 passengers) or until it was daylight. I finally descended about 250 kilometers over the border in a town called Fuka and resumed my walk without a hitch. New culture, new food, new atmosphere entirely, and only Arabic is spoken... I'm learning quickly; immersion is really the only effective way to pick up another language.

More later... I'm safe and well along the Egyptian coast heading toward Alexandria - 3 more days, I reckon, and not many internet opportunities.

8 comments:

Compostelle 2008 said...

You have certainly had a variety of transport on this pilgrimage. Very happy that you are safe.

Michèle, Ottawa (ON) Canada

Kiwi Nomad said...

I know you didn't really want to be forced to 'flee' in this way, but after all, a 'flight into Egypt' is a very biblical thing to do- even if it is from the 'wrong' direction!

Anonymous said...

Well, at first I thought rats were attacking you, but it was only a slight visa attack. Sorry you had to flee by air, but happy you are safe and on foot again. Hugs

Amy R said...

Nice to hear how it's going with you.

Anonymous said...

And, Sviatyj Andrij and his angles are watching over you....phew...what a journey! Blessings and we miss you in Denver!!!! Nadja

ksam said...

Well, actually, fleeing to Egypt at exactly this time of year...this is interesting!! Just relieved to know you are safe.

OHMV said...

What is the saying? "Life is what happens while you are making other plans" Glad you are safe and in good humor!

dr.samy ishak said...

hey anna how r u?
hope evrything is going fine wz u ,hope u contact me when u reach cairo,there is someone wants to b ur guide at ur visit to cairo and dnt worry he will walk wz u :D ,also i can manage to u place to spend ur night